Monday, June 30, 2008

The Bucket List

Im super behind on movies. I normally dont see them until I can rent them or get them free from the library. So lame. Anyways, we watched "The Bucket List" yesterday. Overall, the movie is slow and predicatable but, of course, it got me thinking a bit.

The first thing I liked was this: Morgan Freeman's character claims that The Egyptians feel you are asked two questions before entering heaven. “Have you found joy in your life?” and “Has your life brought joy to others?” If I look at those questions, Im quick to answer "yes, of course, im oh-so-joyous" but when I think about it, Im not so sure. I do have joy but its often overshadowed by worry, stress and guilt. I want to have joy more often. The kind of joy where I laugh until I cry, or run through the grass without worrying about tracking dirt inside or turn off my cell phone (gasp) and just enjoy a day off of work without worrying about it.

Id also love to take more time to bring joy to others. I've done it. I've seen happiness on people's faces and have known that, even for one second, I helped to do that. But I want to do it more.

And then I thought about "A Bucket List" I started thinking about some of my goals. I have always wanted to run a marathon and I have always had a strong desire to learn sign language. These things are interesting accomplishments, but if I died tomorrow, would I regret not doing them? Probably not. So I need a "bucket list." I want to think of a few things that I need to do to make my mark on the time I have on Earth. So thats my goal. Make a list.

And to my blog readers, feel free to share whats on your "bucket list" Id love to know!


"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." -Helen Keller

7 comments:

hopefaithlove said...

My goals are simple...

BABY
Build a house
pay off debt
take DD to disney
go to Europe

Someday you will all have joy :wink wink:

Mary said...

my goal - to be more patient with myself and others. Also, I'd love to join habitat for humanity. I love to work with my hand and what a great way to do it!

Bliss04 said...

i've always tried to find joy within myself, and in my surroundings. i try not to let money, technology, or the busy city life get to me. i try to sit outside when it's sunny and just listen to what's going on around me. watch my cats, and guess their emotions by their actions. laugh at myself when i trip. there's a difference between joy, and pure joy. of course there are other goals i have in life, but like you said, if i died tomorrow would it make me upset if i didn't accomplish them? probably not. joy can be attained and lost on a day to day basis. if you give off positive energy, positive energy will be returned. it's science. :)

lovealways6565 said...

hmm good thinking shan.
My Goals

Carry this baby full term w/o complications
Get a New Job
Volunteer more
Pay off debt

kbaum said...

Hmmm...your post has really gotten me thinking. There are so many "things" I could put on my bucket list, however when really thinking about them, so many fall short of what's really important in life. I'll have to work on this...

Lindsey said...

-Cook this embryo into a healthy baby so we can meet him/her in roughly 8 months
-Be more carefree and stop sweating the small stuff
-Be more patient
-Remember to thank God everyday for all our blessings

Shannon said...

Shannon I miss you too!! I have been laying low for a bit on the nest...I sometimes feel I dont fit in as much anymore. Most ppl on that board have been trying for well under 6 months, with the exception of some great regulars like yourself :-)
I Love this post!! And I know what you mean about the joy. DH and I were talking about that a couple months ago. With TTC and just everyday life I was feeling very un-joyful. Its so hard to bind joy in your life when you want somehthing so bad and for some reason you cant have it yet.(I say yet cause I'm hopefully that our time is coming.) So DH and I made a list of what our goals were and what we thought eachothers goals were.
Mine were pretty straightforward:
To have a family, be a great mtoher, To be a better wife, And I cant remember the third one...But what was interesting was DH's was the same as mine!(well except the wife part) Family and having children was the first on his list. It really helped knowing he was right there with me.
Lots of hugs!