Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fireproof and waiting

Dan and I watched Fireproof last night, it was a great movie! I loved many parts of it but the part that resonated me was the correlation between God's unconditional love for us and the unconditional love that we should have for our spouse. God loves us when we are unlovable. He loves us even when most people would look at us and think that no one should love us. He loves us when we dont love ourselves and he loves us when we dont deserve it. God commands us to love everyone in the bible, regardless of if they love us:


“But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.”
Luke 6:35

I think it is is so easy to love your spouse conditionally. "If he does this, then I love him" or "How can I love him when he acts like this" I will admit, I am guilty of it. But I want to work to practice unconditional love. The kind of love that is constant and unbreakable.

While the movie was playing, I heard a song by John Waller and it has easily moved into one of my favorite songs.



I’m waiting
I’m waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I’m waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

While I’m waiting
I will serve You
While I’m waiting
I will worship
While I’m waiting
I will not faint
I’ll be running the race
Even while I wait


6 comments:

jbwife said...

Our sermon last week was about loving unconditionally. You're right, it's very easy to love conditionally and I think every single one of us is guilty of that on some level. I think sometimes we don't realize that we're doing it. I guess this might be the reason for so many divorces. People either don't know this is what is expected of them as they say their vows or they lose sight of it. It's something we have work to remember because when you love conditionally, your loving that person based on your self. "I love him for how he makes me feel", "I love him for how he supports me". Unconditional love is a selfless love and that's why it's hard. I definitely want to see the movie! Glad to hear it was good!

Shannon said...

The movie sounds great, I will have to rent it soon!
To practice unconditional love is something I struggle with. Like you said its hard sometimes, especially when you may love someone but you may not love what they are doing. Which is why like Jeannie said so many marriages end in divorce, they forget those very vows they made on their wedding day. You have to work at your marriage every day, and some days it may not feel like work at all, and others it may feel like a lot of work.
Hope your having a good weekend!
Hugs!

Angela said...

The first time I heard that song, it gave me chills! I love it. I am glad you liked the movie.

Mrs. Hammer said...

Awesome song! Thanks for sharing.

G & H said...

We saw this movie in the theater and fellin love. And this song has been my life song ( waiting on a baby and all) I love how God created woman out of adam and designed for it to be that way! God knew we would need to feel his love on earth in the physical sense and be hugged and kissed and loved! Its hard to love unconitionally but something so worth working on!

Glad you liked it!

Shanny said...

Those are powerful words in the song, its wonderful!