Thursday, May 21, 2009

101 updates and "You look like..."

I was reading through my journal last night and I got a bit dissapointed with myself. I really have let my 101 list fall to the side and that doesnt sit right with me. That list is important to me and I want to continue to make efforts to do the things on my list. So within the next month, my 3 goals are to Keep my Car Cleaner (Im going to completely empty it out and get it detailed) Buy good running shoes (which should help my already aching feet) and Fly a Kite with Dan (its supposed to be BEAUTIFUL this weekend so we are planning to do it then)

In pregnancy news, I do have a minor vent. There are a fair amount of people that know I am pregant. And its really just because I was so open about my IF journey that when some people asked how the IUI went, it was hard for me to not be honest with them. Since there are these people that know, I do have alot of people who ask me how I am doing or feeling each day. I also have a select group of people who feel the need to tell me "You look like you are SO tired, so sick, so pale, so exhausted, etc" on a regular basis. Now in my defense, I check myself out in the mirror a few times a day and although I dont feel great, I dont think I look like death. Sure, I might need a haircut and maybe some lipgloss (which makes me nauseous to wear right now) but other than that, I dont think I look too bad. Maybe I'll try to get some sun this weekend or wear some bronzer so I can avoid some of these comments!

I hope everyone is having a good week!

14 comments:

tara white said...

you will constantly have people asking you how you are feeling. After a while you'll get sick of being polite and want to tell them the truth. i feel like crap, stop asking!! Or on the other hand on a day you feel great everyone will tell you how crappy you look. I always love it when people comment on how much weight you've gained as if you didn't notice. i had one woman tell me my face looks a lot better now that i've filled out. from then on out i was totally self-conscious about my fat face. And it was fat. i look back at pictures and know what she was talking about. Just try to find funny things to say to people. it will help you get through it. Don't worry after you have the babies no one will care about you anymore, they'll just want to know how the babies are doing. I know i sound bitter but i'm not. i loved being pregnant, it's just funny how people react to you when you're expecting.

flojat said...

Kick 'em in the shins and ask them how they're feeling! Sorry people are being rude, hun. I really don't understand why people feel it's acceptable to comment on a woman's looks during pregnancy. IMO, the only acceptable comment is, "You look great!"

Myrtle said...

thats when you politely say "you, there must be something in the air, because you look __________, too. Hope you feel better soon" and walk away. Obviously the _______ is whatever "helpful" little condition they were kind enough to point out! ;)

Shell said...

I use to say "thanks, that's just what a pregnant woman likes to hear" Just so they would know what they said wasn't so nice. GL hun, I'm so happy for you

Jessica said...

I'm sure you look fine...just brush off all those comments. You are PREGNANT, don't let anyone's comments take that wonderful feeling away.

Bliss04 said...

gotta love it. wait till you start showing and everyone says you look huge, no matter how big or small you are. and unwanted advice/ comments never cease!

Bee said...

Shannon!! My blogger has been down for a looooong time and wouldn't update people's posts on my blog list. So today, when I finally got it fixed, I hopped on your blog and just now found out you're pregnant!! With twins!! I can't believe I have been so out of the loop! I am in tears I am just so completely overjoyed for you. You deserve this more than any internet stranger I "know". Congratulations x 1000. I wish you a happy and healthy 9 months and can't wait to watch that belly of yours grow!!!

Alicea (mnbride1013) said...

Your "glow" will come! Hang in there. :)

Mary said...

Next time someone says that say "thanks, so do you!". That will shut them up! :)

Megan said...

I can relate, my dear. I have a hard time telling them to shut their mouths when telling me I look like shit and must be so tired/hungry/excited or anything else that captain obvious would point out. Between that and the advice (most of which is SUPER stupid) is so annoying. Its amazing what some people think its ok to say or do to a mother to be. I have to agree with some of the other ladies. If they touch your belly, rub theirs and ask how far they are or what their belly is from. Tell them they don't look so hot either. Or do what I do and snap that its really rude and annoying. Good luck sweetie! Bask in the pg glow!

Mel said...

i know it's hard, but start trying to tune them all out now. the questions and unsolicited comments, no matter how well meaning, only get worse. it's like once you are pg the world has an open invitation to comment and discuss your looks, engery, etc. i one more person asks me how i feel today i will scream, and it's only 10 am. just try and smile and bear it and know in the back of your head it's only because they care.

Sarah said...

Shan, once you get pregnant and have kids, people automtically assume they have the right to ask you things. I don't know why they think they have the right, but it's never going to end!

My response to "you look xxxx" was to say "I feel like you look" and then walk away. =D

Sniff

A said...

I know this is late, but CONGRATS on the twins!!! That is wonderful news!! I'm so happy for you and Dan!! :)

Pregnancy said...

Wow! Are you going to have twins?? Congratulations!! It shall be the most happiest day in your life to handle for two little kids... be a healthy pregnant :D