Wednesday, January 13, 2010

He will live on


The world lost an amazing man, father, grandfather and great-grandfather yesterday. My grandpa Bob passed away at 11:02 AM on Tuesday December 12th. My parents were at his side.

I dont know if I can begin to express the sadness that I feel from losing him. At 30 years old, my grandparents have come to define what it means to me to be a family. They have always made everything they do about their family. When I say that any of my grandparents would do absolutely anything for my sister, me or my parents, I mean it.

I want this post to be about things I remember about my grandpa so that someday, I can share them with Emma and Joshua. I named Joshua Robert after my grandpa for a reason- I always wanted the memory of my grandpa to live on in him. And now it will.

1. When I was little, I called my grandpa "Froggy" We used to wrestle and I would sit up on his chest. He was always so kinda and gentle with us

2. I had a little red suitcase that said "Going to Grandma's" on it and I used to pack it to take to my grandparents house. Many times they would pick us up from my parents and I would sit up front (this is before proper car seats, lol) and cuddle with my grandparents

3. My grandpa was a salesman, he worked for many coat and dress companies. He always brought us dresses and coats and would compliment us on how beautiful we looked

4. My grandpa was big on tradition. He liked to do the same things all the time. When I think about it, these traditions made our family special. The traditions included going to Salt Fork, ribs for Christmas dinner and playing bocce ball and horeshoes during summer holidays

5. My grandpa loved my grandma more than life itself. He would of done anything for her. Im not sure he was ever quite the same after she passed away. Sure, he continued living but you could tell a part of him had died. I guess thats what happens when you love someone for over 50 years.

Thats all for now. Someday, I will add more to this post but right now, its hard. My only comfort is that my grandpa isn't alone. Right inside the gates of heaven, he was greeted by my grandma and my uncle. And the pain he carried from losing them was magically washed away. That brings me some peace.

Yesterday, I rocked both babies in the rocking chair my grandpa gave to me. The rocking chair has been in our family for 5 generations and his mother had rocked him in it. What an amazing legacy. Now its up to me and my sister and my parents to pass on the legacy of those who have passed on to my children and to my sister's children someday. So that like the rocking chair, the stories can be in our family forever.

The rocking chair

Thank you all for your prayers for my grandpa and my family. They mean the world to me.



Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name

21 comments:

Shanny said...

I'm very sorry for your loss, your family is in my prayers. Those are lovely memories you have of him ((hugs))

Grasso10 said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss. ::HUGS::

Jessica said...

I sorry for your loss. I think it it so neat that you can rock your babies in a chair your grandfather gave you. You will be in my thoughts. (HUGS)

Amy said...

oh shannon, i'm so sorry for your loss. big hug.

Kelly and Natalie said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Shannon. Hugs to you.

flojat said...

I'm sitting at my desk crying for your loss, and for your beautiful memories of an amazing man. Thank you for sharing. (((hugs)))

The Lane Family said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I loved your blog and what wonderful memories you have of your grandfather. I love the part about your grandma and grandpa being together for 50 years what an amazing example for you. The fact that you know your Grandma and Uncle are waiting for him is also a comfort.

May the memories give you comfort and strength at this time.

Kait said...

My heart is with you and your family, I am so sorry for your loss.

Eris1995 said...

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Shannon said...

Shannon Im so sorry for your loss, please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Amy said...

Oh Shannon, I'm so sorry for your loss. ((HUGS))

Kristi said...

Our thoughts and paryers are with you and your family. May you find the only true comfort from the Lord!

Brittney said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my dear Grandpa one year ago this past Monday - I understand the deep pain of losing someone you love. I too had decided to name our son after him. It's so hard. I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

jbwife said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my grandmother 5 years ago this Valentine's day and I'm saddened that the boys won't get to know her. I found so much comfort in the same song...it was the last song I heard before I went into the hospital to say goodbye to her. I also held tight to the words in Mark Schultz's song "HE Will Carry Me!" My prayers are with your family!!

The rocking chair is so special. What a wonderful piece of family history to pass down!

Danse said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, it's so hard to lose a grandparent. ((BIG HUGS))

Mrs.F said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Shannon. ((HUGS))

Finn829 said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. My grandfather passed away this past August and it has been hard, but I like to think he's up there watching over my son born in October.

gringa78 said...

Isn't that picture from the day you told everyone you were expecting? It's a beautiful pic of you and your Grandpa. I'm so sorry for your loss...it's so hard to say goodbye to people we've never been without. Thinking of you.

LOVEDBYD said...

I am so sorry for your loss Shannon. Your rocking chair story sent chills up my neck. My puppa gave me his rocking chair that was his great-grandmothers. It is a wonderful tradition to continue!

Megan said...

So sorry for your loss, Shannon. Sounds like he was an awesome man. Looks like you also have some great memories of him!
BTW, I totally had that same red suitcase!

MSC from GP said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa, Shannon. ((HUGS))