Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dan's Baby and Breastfeeding

I always say that I use this blog so that I don't forget things that happen. Well before I forget, I must blog about Dan's baby. Who is Dan's baby, you ask? Is it Emma or Joshua? Nope. His baby is named Pillow. So here is the story:

I must begin by telling all of my readers that Dan has become an amazing Dad. We had some bumps in the beginning as we figured out our roles in taking care of the babies but now that we are 2 months in, I can honestly say we are both doing our share to take care of E&J.

Now the one thing that Dan does struggle with is getting up when either of the babies cry. I must have some kind of crazy mommy instinct because I hear a noise and I am up and ready to feed. But Dan? Not so much. He is in a haze when I wake him up. Which leads us to "his baby" I noticed early on that when I would get up and look over at Dan, he would be holding a pillow and patting its back. When I would ask him about it, he would tell me "Im holding the baby!" Hmmm, really? But its more than just holding the pillow. I have caught him walking around with the pillow, rocking it and even trying to burp it- All in his sleep! One time, I had to have him walk down to the nursery to look into E&J's crib and see that they were both there and he was, indeed, holding a pillow. Its honestly the funniest thing and I spend a good few minutes laughing at him when he does it before giving him a good nudge and ripping the "baby" from his arms. Too funny.

I also wanted to comment on the adventures breastfeeding. Man, I don't think I realized how hard it was going to be, especially with twins. I have had so many emotions with this experience. I've enjoyed the closeness that I have felt with E&J. I have also been frustrated by the time commitment that it takes to either be the sole feeder of the babies or to have to pump in between feeding another baby so that Dan can feed the other. I have also been frustrated by the fact that I can't always pump enough milk for both babies now that they are eating 4+ oz each. But one thing I have learned is that whatever I am able to do for E&J, its enough. I don't need to be SuperMom. It's ok to supplement with formula. I don't need to get up in the middle of the night all the time just to pump while everyone else in my house (babies included!) are sleeping. I don't know if I was try to prove to myself that I COULD be SuperMom but I can tell everyone, that in the end, its better to be realistic and to do what's best for yourself, too. A Happy Mama= Happy Babies.

That being said, I am going to continue breastfeeding and pumping when I return to work next week. (And wow, going back to work is going to be a blog post that Im not quite ready to tackle) My goal is 3 months. And after that? Who knows?! We'll see how I (and my boobs) are feeling then.

Tomorrow is Josh's belly button surgery. We talked to the surgeon's office today and since they are going to have to put him under, there is a chance he will have to stay overnight. Please send him some thoughts and prayers. I will be sure to update after his surgery is done.

Hanging out and Playing with Mommy. And YES, Joshua is smiling! :)

11 comments:

Mrs.F said...

I understand about being scared for Joshua to go under anesthesia! Gianna has to have probing done on her tear ducts in a couple of weeks & she has to go under too :( So scary.
And I can't imagine how tough it must be BF two babies when it's already so time consuming to BF one! You are awesome for keeping up with it.

Lindsay said...

I'll say a prayer for Joshua tonight.

Jeannie said...

I will definitely pray for Joshua and Mommy&Daddy. I think I had to remind myself to breathe until the dr came out to tell us everything went well with Ethan's surgery.

I have to thank you for telling us the Dan's baby story but more importantly I must thank Dan. I haven't laughed that hard (tears streaming down my face) in a while and I definitely needed it today. Such a dedicated daddy!!

Leannabanna said...

They get cuter by the day. And you are so right. happy mommy does = happy babies!
Whatever works best for you and your little ones is the right thing, you are doing a fantastic job as a new mommy!
I laughed out loud at Dan's baby! haha
Thoughts and prayers for Joshua.

Amy said...

Praying for Joshua!

The story about Dan and his "baby" is hilarious!

Alicea (mnbride1013) said...

Dan's baby is the funniest thing I've ever heard!

Good luck with the surgery today - I'm sure it will go well. :)

Julia said...

My friend sent me your post and I cannot tell you how much I feel your pain! I'm one month back to work and have been struggling with breastfeeding (and I only have one child!) You're doing great and you are right, every little ounce counts.

Tara White said...

Good luck with Joshua's surgery. i'll be praying for all of you. (You will probably need it more than him though). Babies recover so well from things like that! Also, JR and I still struggle with getting up in the middle of the night. Parker sleeps through the night but often wakes up crying for no reason, probably looking for him pacifier. We try to take turns and last night i nudged JR and asked him to go in there and his excuse why he couldn't was because he wasn't wearing any underwear. It's definitely a guy thing. I jump up any time I hear him. Don't let the breastfeeding thing get you down. They will grow and do fine however you do it. Congrats for making it this far. I lasted 6 days.

Shannon said...

haha thats too funny about Dan!! lol
I can only imagine how difficult it is to bf two babies, I think your doing great Shannon!!
much love and hugs! xoxo

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah C said...

I had dreams after J was first born that he had no arms or legs and I would be trying to BF him. "J" turned out to be my body pillow with a wet spot on it from my let down. Le sigh.

You are a super mom. I promise. BF'ing is H-A-R-D and anything you can do is a mini victory.