Saturday, March 6, 2010

Time for separation

When we brought Joshua and Emma home, we put them in the bassinet portion of our Pack N' Play and they slept in our room. At a month, they got too big for sleeping there and we decided to try the crib so that we could all get some better sleep. When I switched them to their cribs, I decided to put them in the same crib. It made the transition easier for ME because I thought they could be close to one another and keep each other company. Weird, I know.

I knew that one day I would figure out when it was time to move them into their own cribs. Well that day, my friends, has come.

About a week ago, I heard Joshua crying in his crib. Now I have what I call a "3 cry system." If I hear Emma or Joshua cry once, I take note of the cry but don't get up. If they cry out again, I move towards the door and if they cry a third time, I go into the room. And I'm not talking about hysterical crying, by any means. But sometimes they just cry out or fuss and I can't tell how how many times I have gotten to outside of the door waiting for the third cry and I peak in and they are both sleeping soundly.

Anyways, the cry that Joshua let out did not fall under one I would use my "3 cry system" for. It was loud and urgent sounded like "Mom, get in here NOW." So I bolted into the room and found this:


In a nutshell, my lovely daughter had turned herself 45 degrees in the crib and was kicking Joshua. In the first picture, you can see that he is wailing but in the second picture, he calmed down. Probably because he saw I was there to rescue him!

So as of last night, they are in their own cribs. I just checked on them and Emma, once again, had moved 45 degrees but at this point, who cares. She can air kick as much as she wants now. Because Joshua is nice and safe in his own crib, lol.

I wonder if having their own cribs is helping with their sleep. They normally go to sleep around 10 after a dream feed and sleep until 5 or 6. Well its almost 7 and they are both still sleeping away. This could be a good thing.


Hope everyone is doing good!

14 comments:

Jess said...

I have been meaning to ask you if they were in the same crib still! Gosh, they are beautiful. Shame on you little Emma for kicking your brother, haha. :) You are very blessed, Shannon!

Kelly and Natalie said...

That little stinker Emma! :) They are so darn cute!

Julia said...

Love those pictures, hysterical. My good friend has girl/boy twins as well and she went through the same transition and said both kiddos did start sleeping better. Twins must be so fun!

Jesse and Mandy Peterson said...

Those pictures are funny! And the last one is so cute! Emma looked completely content to be kicking Joshua. Hope the sleeping does continue to get better and better!

Kismet21 said...

I like the term dream feed! I am going to steal it! That is what our Sophia does at 3-4am.

Love the pics!

Amy said...

Such cute pics! I especially love the last one. :)

Alicea said...

That's too cute!

The Lane Family said...

First off I LOVE the last picture it is SOOO sweet and I love how he has his arm around his sister!!

That is really great that you were able to let them sleep together for awhile. Due to all of Avery's issues they co-slept in the NICU for awhile and then for maybe a night when they came home. Because we had to worry about Avery's feeding tube and she had MAJOR stomach issues and colic.

They are growing up and getting cuter and cuter!!!

Lindsay said...

Hahaha. Poor Joshau!

Jeannie said...

They are so darn cute!! It was a sad day for ME when we moved them into separate cribs but I think they definitely slept better. I hope you find the same!!!

tara White said...

They are so adorable. I want to see them so bad. I guess i need to get out to visit soon, especially now that the weather is nicer. Parker has always been an active sleeper. He moves all around his crib and we can't keep him under a blanket.

Mel said...

Haha, she's probably getting back at him for some rib-nudging in utero!

That last pic of them is too adorable, too. Such cuties!

Megan said...

OMG that's too cute! Love the story and the photos! Poor Joshua for getting beat up on by his sister, but I'm sure he'll "get back" at her for it...lol

Ruth said...

Did it help their sleep? Cause my girls are just under 5 months and still in the same cot but often wake each other up. Often enough to make me think they need their own space at least.