Tuesday, June 22, 2010

6 months and the official end of pumping

Emma and Josh had their 6 month appointment on Monday and did great. They have met all 6 month milestones except neither is sitting unassisted yet. The pedi said that this milestone often happens later so its no big deal. They do sit great in the bumbo or the jumperoo or on our lap but by themselves? not yet.

Here are their stats:

Emma:

Length: 27 inches, 95th percentile
Weight: 14lbs, 11 oz, 25th percentile

Joshua:

Length: 28.25 inches, 95th percentile
Weight: 17lbs, 1 oz, 50th percentile

Summary? Both babies are long and lean. Oh and Josh has almost tripled his birth weight. Such a beast (but an adorable beast, of course!)


I did my last pumping session on Thursday AM and the days after that were extremely painful. I could not even focus on the emotional aspect of weaning from the pump because the physical aspect was so intense. Again, I knew it was going to be painful but I did not anticipate the fact that it would hurt to walk. And breathe. And just stand still. But the pain has lessened alot in the past couple days and the fullness and pressure is starting to go down, too. Now that its all over, I am proud of what I was able to accomplish. 6 months is pretty darn good!


Hope everyone is having a great week! I am out of town for work right now and although I miss Emma and Josh (and Dan, too!) like crazy, this trip away is a lot easier on me. It just goes to show- things do get easier with time.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Congrats on breastfeeding twins for 6 months..that is a great accomplishment!!!

Jesse and Mandy Peterson said...

Sounds like your kids are perfectly healthy and happy and adorable!

It's a great accomplishment to breastfeed them both for 6 months. I made it 5 1/2. Mine wasn't a painful weaning because I did it so slowly, but in the early months, I dealt with a lot of engorgement and mastitis, with fevers, chills, and extreme pain. So I can understand.

Megan said...

OMG your kids are long and skinny! But that's ok! And Anthony is almost officially 7 months and sits alone, but if he's not focused, he'll fall. All kids meet those milestones at different times.
I am SO proud of you. You breastfed and pumped for twins for 6 months! I've heard of so many unable to do so or they give up!
You are an amazing mom!

osuraj said...

I'm so impressed you breastfed twins for 6 months! That's quite an accomplishment, you should be proud of yourself! :-)

Kelly and Natalie said...

I got a long and lean one here, too. :) And don't worry about the sitting up thing. I think Natalie was 7 months before she sat unassisted.

Congrats on your breastfeeding milestone! Great job momma!

Kismet21 said...

BFing for 6 months is amazing. BFing/EPing ofr Twins should get an award.

The Lane Family said...

It sounds like the kids are doing GREAT and getting so big!!

Great job on breastfeeding twins for 6 months that is an amazing accomplishment!!!

It makes me laugh that at 6 months Josh weighs 17 pounds and Kaylee our littlest twin is 2 and weighs 22 pounds. Boys are just tough and big!!

Mrs.F said...

Be so proud that you BF for 6 months with twins!!! I sooo remember that pain of weaning. No fun at all.