Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Zoo

We took Emma and Josh to the zoo yesterday since Dan was off for our anniversary and well, it didn't go so well.

I really thought we were going to have a good day. It wasn't too hot out and they both had an amazing morning nap (about 2 hours!) so we packed a lunch, our double stroller and our 7 month twins and headed to the zoo.

It started off with Emma dirtying her diaper about two seconds after we got there. Have you ever changed a dirty diaper on one of those changing table things with about 20 people peering over to see what's going on? Mind your business, people. Why would you want to see my kid's poopy diaper? And of course Emma did not like the audience and screamed through the entire thing.

After that, we tried to go see some of the animals but Emma was mad that she was in the back of the stroller and that she was belted in and could not flip. So she started screaming again. At the top of her lungs. I finally un-belted her and put the seat down so she could crawl around, which didn't help. Hence this picture, can you see her?




We finally decided to stop (because we had seen all of like 2 animals at this point) and feed both of them. They ate great so we thought maybe that would help them calm down. And it did help Emma but of course now Josh started crying. He continued to cry the remainder of the time and would only stop if I held him.

By this time, we were sick of people staring at us and our screaming kids so we left. What a day! It can only get better, right?

A few pictures, this is about all we got in between all the crying:


Me, Josh and a fake monkey

Me and Emma

A giraffe- to prove we really were at the zoo

10 comments:

Kelly and Natalie said...

What a day! And why do people feel the need to stare and comment while you change your child?! Natalie used to scream on the changing tables cuz she was scared of them. And if someone flushed a toilet or used the hand dryer, forget it! Then people would say, oh someone needs a nap. No, she doesn't! Urrrrgh.

Next year will be more fun for zoo trips. They'll get to walk and be out of their strollers, and they'll actually appreciate the animals and get excited for them. :)

Shanny said...

Wow, at least you tried! They are as adorable as ever... maybe just not at the zoo for now though lol

Hope next attempt is a little more succesful!

nikinikinine said...

Shannon, thanks for stopping by my blog and reassuring me that what I'm going through is normal. I'm so humbled by the kindness of strangers as I have these crazy hormonal breakdowns. I think I'm harder on myself than others are on me!

Lindsay said...

Well at least you tried! Hopefully the 2nd time is the charm!

Mrs. Hoppy said...

What a day! The picture of Emma in the stroller is too funny. Maybe next time they will enjoy it more. :)

Ava and the Trips said...

Oh Shannon I can so relate! In my house if one melts down, the others must feel left out because they start too! I can definitely say it gets better! Yesterday I had the kids and my niece (by myself) running around from 4 - 8...we did the park, dinner, playing, and dessert a chick-fil-a, and target. Not to say the meltdowns don't happen, but it's easier to get out and they usually enjoy it too!

Dianne said...

hilarious picture of your baby!!

Good memories for later!

Jessica said...

Sounds eventful..hopefully they will do better next time!

The Lane Family said...

What a day!!! To think that we decide to do these things because we think it will be fun for "the kids"!!! At the end of the experience you just think...wow was that worth it and then you start planning the next trip......parenthood must have affected our brains :)

The pictures you did were cute!! I especially like the one of the stroller holding the diaper bag..it looks so familiar :)

Megan said...

oh my what a day!
Isn't it crazy how people feel the need to stare at your baby's privates and dirty diaper while you change it? and if you are on one of those changers that is bolted to the wall but its 4 feet off the ground and they start talking and cooing to baby which makes them want to flip onto their belly and crawl to the stranger. I've been tempted to throw the dirty diaper at them and ask if they wanted to stare, then they must want to help.
But at least you gave it a good effort! Hopefully next time will be MUCH better!