Saturday, January 15, 2011

Toy OCD



Im an "everything has its place" kind of girl so I enjoy organizing, putting stuff away, throwing stuff out, etc. My idea of a fun Friday night? Organizing my make up drawer. (Actually did this last night- pure heaven)

I have never considered myself overly OCD about cleaning or organizing. I mean, I do like to clean the sink drain with a toothbrush and I iron t-shirts but overall, I've been able to keep it under control.

Until now. What has sent me over the edge? TOYS. I am obsessed with organizing and putting away toys. Emma and Josh have a toy shelf with 6 little plastic containers and I have one designated for "Little People stuff" and one for "Toy tools and makeup" and every night I crawl around on all fours and hunt down every last piece and put it in its "appropriate" plastic container. I then count 3 eggs and veggies for the Laugh and Learn Farm and 2 basketballs for the Little Tykes sport center. And then I move onto the toy that drives me nuts, simply because it has 26 alphabet letters and it never fails that the day ends and I only have 25- The V-tech Alphabet Train.

Please tell me I am not the only one that does this?! I really, really just want to throw the Leap Frog Maracas and Drum into the toy chest and walk away but, I don't know, it just looks better when they are organized nicely in one of the plastic containers. Help!

Emma and Josh playing with some of the toys that I spend forever organizing

11 comments:

Ava and the Trips said...

I am exactly like that! toys with a bunch of pieces drive me crazy. I too have a bin for tools, a bin for cars, a bin of girl stuff, etc. I can't relax until its all picked up!

The Lane Family said...

Shannon..I am no help because I too have this obessession and it gets harder as they get older and get smaller toys to play with such as my sons "Small" legos but it also easier because he does help...

Good Luck and happy toy picking :)

Krisy said...

oh you are so not alone, this toy thing has me going crazy. I used to clean up behind them and then I started cleaning up between their naps, now i've learned to just clean up at the end of the night. I don't even know why I do that because in 12hrs its a mess again but I have to do it or i feel like a can't relax!

Jess said...

We are the same way! hahaha And I feel bad that I suggested the VTECH train, but it is Colin's favorite toy and has been for over a year! Happy organizing:)

Mrs. Hoppy said...

I don't have toys to organize but I am OCD in exactly the same ways you are! I organized our night stands on Thursday - Heaven! :)

Samantha said...

I am the exact same way! I organized them maybe once a week (although I try to put them away in the right spot every night), but I will make a "missing" list of what I can't find and have to search under furniture to find it all...it drives me crazy! You know what else drives me nuts? Missing pacifiers! There is a lime green and white one that I haven't seen in weeks and I can't stand it!

Jeannie said...

I wish I was more like this. Can you come help me be more like this? By the end of the day, I'm lucky to throw (literally some days) their toys in their big container before I crash. I have the desire to be more like this but lack the drive and energy. How do you do it????

Sarah said...

You are totally not the only one who does this!! I might even be worse! Ha!

Amy said...

Just like you. :) I am missing a game to Evan's MobiGo that I couldn't find last night and it's killing me today.

Bloggin' with one Hand said...

Christmas made my mess crazy! "Lane Family"~GREAT!!! I was hoping that it would get easier~at the very least the kids get better at "picking up". I too just decided to clean up at the end of the night....and have a "designated" play area.

Jessica@The Southern Belle Baby said...

I am the same way! Except that they don't exactly STAY organized, but that's okay. Like why do I have to organize his books from largest to smallest? He just dumps them all out in the end. It's okay though... that's what we do!

PS: I put your button back up on my blog. I have been having side bar issues where the whole thing disappears. My host would reset it, but it wouldn't keep the "new" ones on there for some reason. Anyway, just making sure you didn't think I was getting rid of you. :)