Saturday, June 18, 2011

18 month day

I was off work yesterday so that I could spend a lot of time with Emma and Josh as they turned 18 months. I don't know what it is about 18 months but it feels like a big milestone to me. Its like they are almost two, officially toddlers and have really become little people. I love this time, even though its not easy. They both have their own opinions and have no problem expressing them. They are learning to explore and they do not like to be interrupted! And they both know how to run away from us but its never in the same direction.

But with all that factored in, I looked at Emma and Josh yesterday and I just fell so much more in love with them. We started the day by going to the library and signing them up for a summer reading game. We will keep track of how often we read to them (which is very often, they love it) and they can get stickers and prizes. I laughed when the librarian suggested signing them up but both Emma and Josh clutched their little board game and selected a few books to read (after they both ran away from me, screaming up and down the aisles...) Later in the day, we went to Target and then the three of us shared a small ice cream cone from McDonalds. I sat in the back seat of the van between them and took turns giving them small spoons. Just a great, great day.

18 months. Wow, that went fast. Can't wait to see what the next 6 months bring!

4 comments:

Krisy said...

Happy 18 months! Time is sure flying by!

lifeasdescribed said...

Sometimes it's the simplest moments that are the the ones you truly savor... like ice cream in the van. I could picture you describing that and I smiled! The library program makes their little people status official I think. A fun way to celebrate 18 months!

~Cathy

Kismet21 said...

They are both getting so big!

Mary said...

Aw, I can just picture you sitting in the back and all three of you taking licks from the ice cream cone! I love it! Happy 18 months, Josh and Emma! Love you guys!