Sunday, January 22, 2012

Socks, kid's clothes and crafts, oh my!

I spent a lot of time cleaning out and organizing some of the other areas of our home this weekend. I am up to two full garbage bags that were thrown out and 3 bags ready to go to Goodwill. Dan was gone a lot of the day helping his parents with some stuff so it left Emma and Josh to "help" me organize!





Some things I did to help organize these areas:

1. Socks- this one was easy. I through out a ton of socks! I looked through each sock and if there was even a tiny hole, it went in the trash. If they had dirt stains, same thing. After that, I went through and matched up the socks and put them into two boxes in the drawer- white sport socks and all other socks. And if they didn't have a match? Well most of those I threw out too. Except for a couple that I thought were "newly unmatched" But that black and white check sock that I keep praying will find its match? See ya!

2. Kid's clothes- I made huge progress in this area. I set up containers in their closet to collect the following:
1. Empty hangers
2. Items to donate
3. Items to sell at MoM club sale

By the time I got to their closet, I was out of Rubbermaid containers so instead, I just used empty diaper boxes and it worked just fine.

I also cleared out a drawer to store items that don't fit yet like Christmas Pajamas I bought on Clearance, cute summer items I picked up at the end of last season, etc. Instead of jamming up their closet, these items are out of the way.

Huge, huge difference and it feels a lot more organized!

3. Crafts- I would love to have the space to set up craft items for the kids and for me but right now, we just don't have the space. Instead, I got some of those Rubbermaid plastic drawers and organized all of our stickers, paper, pipe cleaners, play-doh, etc. Nothing fancy but it feels a lot better than bags of items all around.


Next items on my list are: Under the sinks and recipes

2 comments:

The Lane Family said...

It looks like your project is going GREAT!! I really like how you organize your crafts and supplies in the bins that are clear plastic..what a great idea!

championm2000 said...

Impressive! Isn't it amazing how many clothes kids amass??