Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Motivation Update


My focus for my 12 in 2012 this month is Motivation. I have been spending a lot of time reading about people that motivate me and will post on that towards the end of the month but I did want to spend some time talking about a book that I finished reading called "You Can Create an Exceptional Life"

The authors have each written many other motivational books and this book is their first book they have written together. It recounts stories from their lives that that drive home concepts like changing your thinking and focusing on the positive. Two concepts that I have been using are:

1. Affirmations. One of the authors, Louise Hays, talks about using affirmations as a way to identify positive things in your life and then to center on those positive things. The first time I read it, it sounded cheesy. But it stuck in my head so I decided to give it a try. Basically, I wrote a list of phrases into my journal and I try to focus on these phrases in the morning and throughout the day. Some examples of the phrases are:

"My life is filled with joy and happiness"
"I am a good mother and good at balancing all of life's challenges"
"I believe in myself and have confidence in myself"
"I accept what I cannot change"

During the day, when I feel the stress of work or the kids (or any of the other hundreds of things that stress me out) I try to remember to focus on the positive affirmations. Instead of focusing about a nasty insured, I try to focus on something like:

"My job does not define my happiness. I will not let it shadow my happiness"


2. The concept that "How You Live Your Day Is How You Live Your Life" The authors had a whole chapter on remembering that each day makes up a part of your life. And of course one day does not fully shape your life, but focusing on being happy for one minute, one hour and then one day will eventually roll into happiness on a grander scale. This is a reminder to me to make every moment count and in that moment, choose to focus on happiness and being positive instead of the negative.

I have a couple other books that I am in the middle of and plan to talk about soon. I am glad I decided to focus on Motivation because I think it is establishing a solid ground for me to move forward with the rest of my focus throughout this year.

"Character is the result of two things: mental attitude and the way we spend our time." – Elbert Green Hubbard

1 comments:

championm2000 said...

Great take-aways from the book! Someone once told me that we are always nicer to other people than we are ourselves. Her point was, we often affirm others, but talk negatively to ourselves.