Friday, April 20, 2012

RAOK Take 1

I tried my first Random Act of Kindness (RAOK) while at the grocery store and, well, it was a bit rocky. I was standing at the check out as the cashier rang up my overflowing cart. I looked to my right and saw a man standing there, holding two gallons of milk. As the cashier got to the end of my order, I said to her "Can you please ring those two gallons of milk with my order? I would like to buy them for that man." I then turned to him and said "I'd like to do something for you so I have bought your milk. I know it's not much but I hope you have a good day!" He looked at me and shook his head, signaling that he didn't understand.

Yep, I chose to buy milk for someone who didn't speak very good English. And I couldn't explain it to him. So I repeated it again, gesturing to the milk. He proceeded to give me a dirty look, put the milk on the conveyer belt and he went back into the main part of the store.

At this point, the cashier is laughing because we both realize that the man thought I WANTED his milk. I asked her if I could leave my cart up at the front while I tracked him down. Because now I had purchased his milk but couldn't convince him to take it!

I found him coming from the back of the store...carrying two more gallons of milk. I stopped him (and I am sure he is thinking that I am some kind of crazy psycho) and again said "Sir, I bought your milk. You can take it and go. Have a good day" He nodded and I am thinking "Yes, he finally gets it!" I proceed to the back of the store to return the other two gallons, since he has selected new milk.

As I approach the front of the store, I see the man again. Standing in the checkout line. With the milk. OMG. I approach him and look him in the eye and say "I bought milk. For you. I paid. You can go." He finally looked at me and said "YOU buy milk? For me?"

He looked at me and said "Thank you. No one ever buy me milk" And he left. With the milk. Finally.

So that was my first attempt at Random Kindness. We'll see how my next attempt goes!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Shannon, this had me laughing out loud! What a great story. I'm glad he ended up getting it and that in the end, he appreciated your gesture. Hopefully he has paid it forward. :)

Anonymous said...

soooooooooooooooooo funny!

championm2000 said...

This is where someone is supposed to say, "It's the thought that counts!" lol