Sunday, May 6, 2012

Month 4 Wrap Up: Kindness



I am aware that it is May (and that we're a solid week into it tomorrow...) so I won't even bother with my valid reason excuses with why I am just posting now.  Who knows? Maybe I have been too busy being kind. Yep, let's go with that.

My month of Kindness was interesting.  I ended the month completing all that I set out to complete. I completed 3 Random Acts of Kindness.  And for the record, the other two went a lot better than the first. I gave genuine compliments.  I took a little extra time with some people that I encounter at work and showed care to them.  I put people's shopping carts away at the grocery store.  I let people go in front of me in line.  I smiled more and thanked people often. I will admit, It did feel good to focus on how I treat people and how I interact with them.

One thing I did notice was that people were so, so surprised by my kindness.  My first Random Act of Kindness aside, the other two had a similar element of surprise.  Like the people could not believe that someone would be nice to them.   When I let someone go in front of me in the grocery line even though I had a cart full and she had 5 items, she looked at me like "are you sure you don't mind?"  When I stopped to hold the door open for a woman walking slow with a cane, she looked at me and said "Not many people do that anymore.  Bless you."

The fact that people were surprised by my attempts at Kindness makes me want to continue to focus on being Kind.   And not just thinking kind thoughts or wanting to be kind.  But actually doing it!  Through this month, I've learned that small things like a genuine compliment, an act of kindness or a smile can make the difference in someone's day.

“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.”  Oscar Wilde









3 comments:

Kelly said...

I love that you did this. And you're right, just like a rude comment can ruin a day, a kind gesture or comment can make a person's day.

Lindsay said...

Love this post

championm2000 said...

"Not many people do that anymore. Bless you."

How true. How true.

I love your reflection and your renewed commitment to kindness!