Sunday, June 17, 2012

12 in 2012 Month 5 Wrap Up

..and not only will I be wrapping up Month 5 in this post, I will do a brief introduction into what I am working on in Month 6.

I loved Month 5 and my focus of Frugality.  I explored a lot of ways to get the best use out of my money and learned a lot of things including:

1. Its important to know what stores carry the best deals on certain things.  For example, I have found that my local Aldi's has AWESOME prices on produce.  Like "quarts of blueberries for $1"  kind of awesome.   They also have amazing prices on snacks.   Granola bars for $1.39 a box? Yes, please.     

2. The Dollar Store can be a good, good friend.   I will admit, a lot of the stuff there is junk.  But they also have great deals on things like aluminum foil, baggies, greeting cards and candles.  When I go there now, I load up so I won't be tempted to spend a lot of money somewhere else on similar items.

3.  Figuring out the madness of Extra Bucks and Up Rewards can save you a lot of money.  I did a few transactions at CVS and Rite Aid this month and was able to get a ton of stuff for around $25.  Like 4 shampoos, 4 conditioners, 4 toothpastes, 2 deodorants, 2 mouth washes and more.  It took some time but now I have a little stockpile of every day items that we can pull from instead of spending a lot of money at the last minute when I remember we need one of these items.

4. Take the time and try a thrift store.  I will be honest, this one was hard for me.  I've always donated to thrift stores but have not every shopped in one.   I finally did and I was very surprised on what I could find.   I spent around $20 and left with 7 designer items for Emma and Josh, a stack of books and 2 shirts (that were Banana Republic, thank you very much) for me.   Did I have to sift through a lot of items to find them? You bet I did.  Was it worth it? After a good wash in my own washing machine, yes it was!


The one thing I didn't complete was curbing my "inpulse spending" during the day, which is mostly on candy and junk while I driving around during the work day.  I am thinking about doing the "envelope" technique with it and giving myself $5 a week to spend on junk.  I think it might be the only thing that helps!


My focus for June is Faith.  My goal is simple...to quiet all the other voices around me and listen to the voice of God.  Instead of listening to the voice that says "you aren't doing that good enough," I want to hear the voice of God that tells me "You are Enough."  I know this won't be easy but its something I really need.



2 comments:

The Lane Family said...

THis was a GREAT post and you pointed out some things I want to try and do!!!I was also a little bit iffy about shopping at Thrift Stores and Consignment sales but I have found some AWESOME deals like you found and got some GREAT stuff!!!

I love the 12 in 2012 theme for June which is Faith....I try to find moments everyday to just sit and be still and really allow God to speak, kind comfort and strengthen our family!!

championm2000 said...

Great suggestions! Thank you for reminding me of thrift stores (and yard sales).

We are tring something like the envelopes for our family spending. We are taking out cash each week instead of using our cards. Too soon to tell if it's going to make a difference, but I am hopeful.

Faith...be enough. Oh, goodness. I have so much to learn from you!