Thursday, December 20, 2012

Twins and Sadness

I have struggled with whether or not I wanted to post about the awful and unspeakable tragedy that occurred at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newton, Connecticut.   I had actually decided that I was not going to post because, overall, my blog is solely about Emma and Josh.  But then I heard that one of the boys, Noah Ponzer, was a twin. A 6 year old boy with a twin sister named Arielle.  And for about the hundredth time since I first heard about this event, I lost it.

This post is not about gun control or the Second Amendment.  Its not about mental illness or God's plan.  I've read enough about all of those issues over the past 5 days to make my head spin.  Instead, the purpose of this post is to create a reminder for me, my family and one day for my children that our lives are a gift.  A temporary gift that unfortunately can be taken away at any minute.  And that although we get caught up in our every day struggles and pains, through it all the only thing that matters is how we love one another.

Emma and Josh show me this every day.  They love one another in a way that is true, forgiving and unconditional.  Yesterday, I caught Emma consoling Josh when I put him in time out.
She hugged him...

...and told him he had to be a better boy.

And she told him it was ok...

...and then told him that she loved him.





These moments made me think of those lives lost in the school shooting because for so long, those people who were affected will need to be loved.  And told that "its going to be ok" even though its hard to explain what "ok" is or how its even possible to be "ok" after going through something like this.

As a mother, I can't think of any greater pain than losing a child.  My heart and my prayers go out to those affected by the events at Sandy Hook Elementary.


Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.Matthew 11:28–30



1 comments:

The Lane Family said...

So well said Shannon..like you my heart just hurts and I know how much my kids LOVE each other and how their hurts would break if one day one did not come home..I also have a first grader and it just drove the ache and pain deeper....