Friday, January 11, 2013

12 in 2012 Reflection

When I came across the 12 in 2012 project at the beginning of 2012, it inspired me and I was so excited to embark on the project.  I had high hopes for completing a bunch of well planned tasks and, in the end, bettering myself.

As I reflect back on the project, I am so glad I took part in it. It gave me the opportunity to set goals and challenged me to complete those goals. In doing the project, I also learned one valuable piece of information about me:  I EXPECT WAY TOO MUCH FROM MYSELF.

I think that on the surface, its easy to say "Hey, that's not a bad thing.  We should expect a lot from ourselves!"   I agree. But I also think that its really easy to become UNHAPPY because you and your life don't look how you EXPECT it to look.  And that, my friends, is me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy all of the time. In general, I am a happy person.  I have found, however, that I set up a lot of expectations for myself and then end up making myself miserable trying to execute the expectations.

So where does that leave in in 2013? My goal in 2013 is simple, I want to have better Perspective.  Instead of seeing what I don't have, I want to realize all of the blessings around me.  Instead of identifying my shortcomings, I want to rejoice in my triumphs. I want to see the good and not just focus on how things didn't work out quite how I planned.  I truly believe that this will allow me to be a better wife and a better mom.   And a better me...because I deserve it, too!

"Whether an event is good or bad depends on your choice of perspective not the event itself."


0 comments: